There are lots of essential oils with antioxidant properties that can help get rid of the skin’s free radicals to reduce the obvious signs of aging and sun damage. In addition, anti-inflammatory properties of some oils and its fatty acid content help boost the elasticity of the skin. We have included in this post the top 5 best essential oils for wrinkles that you can consider using.
Table of Contents
The Top 5 Best Essential Oils for Wrinkles
This oil is well known as excellent remedy for mature skin. The extracts from sandalwood have moisturizing properties and help smooth the skin that shows signs of aging. Sandalwood has an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin. Studies are done to determine how effective the oil is in reducing the papillomas in the skin. If this is proven to be effective it will help protect the skin against skin cancer.
Sandalwood is known to be a holy oil and is usually used for religious ceremonies like the birth of a baby or during the wedding. You can find it mostly in India where it is called Santalum Album. Hawaii and Australia likewise produce different varieties of sandalwood, but the quality and purity are not the same from India.
- With anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties
- Have moisturizing property that smoothens the skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Promotes the formation of new cells
- It contains sesquiterpenes that stimulate the activity of the hypothalamus and pituitary glands, thus increases the production of HCG or human growth hormone which normally slows down as you age
- There has been a report that some experience irritation or sensitization after using sandalwood
How to Use?
Combine five drops of sandalwood oil, with 2 tablespoon of sweet almond oil and 3 drops of geranium oil and place it in a glass bottle. You can use it as part of your skincare routine for a healthy youthful skin.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil is a powerful essential oil that helps prevent the formation of wrinkles around the eyes and mouth. It contains a good amount of Vitamin C which is a natural antioxidant. The oil can get rid of free radicals from the skin, thus reduces the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
There are lots of studies done to prove the effectiveness of lemon oil as a skin care treatments. Like in 1999 a study about lemon oil proves it has a strong antioxidant property and can prevent the symptoms of oxidative stress on your skin. This proves that lemon oil is effective anti-aging skincare oil.
- Contains high level of Vitamin C
- Strong antioxidant and antiseptic properties
- Reduce the excess oil in the skin
- Removed dead skin cells keeping the skin looking fresh and radiant
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles and at the same time tone the sagging and loose skin
- It can be phototoxic, which means that it can burn your skin when exposed to the sun
How to Use?
Dilute lemon oil in a carrier oil or water before applying it to your skin. The ratio should be 10% of lemon oil in 90% carrier oil to achieve the best result. Most of the wrinkles are situated around the eyes, so you should be very careful when applying the oil in these areas. When applying it around your eyes you should close them tightly as you apply the oil around the area.
Clary Sage Oil
This essential oil is an anti-aging skin treatment that gets rid of the fine lines and wrinkles on your face and around the eyes. When combined with other essential oil it can heal the skin wounds, moisturize the skin and prevent infections. Clary sage is an effective skin preparation to slows down the signs of aging because of its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
Clary Sage has restorative properties that reduce wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin. If combined with other essential oils like neem oil it helps tighten the skin, prevent premature aging, improves overall skin elasticity and enhance skin tone.
- Moisturize the skin
- With antimicrobial and antioxidant properties
- Has anti-aging property
- Improves skin elasticity
- Prevent premature aging
- Tighten skin
- Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Not recommended for pregnant women as it can induces childbirth
How to Use?
Combine clary sage oil with 5 drops of carrier oil. Mix well and apply on the areas with wrinkles.
Grape Seed Oil
The antioxidant properties of grape seed oil can help fight the free radicals. It contains a class of flavonoids known as proanthocyanidins that bind to collagen to help repair the damaged skin due to free radicals. The oil is effective in reducing the signs of aging like wrinkles particularly around the eyes.
The grape seed extract is rich in vitamin E, which can slow down the process of aging. According to experts as we age our body produces more free radicals and less antioxidant.
It is used by many cosmetic companies as a base for their creams, ointments, and lotions. The grapeseed oil has an ideal viscosity that is rich in beta-carotene and vitamins D, E, and C. The fatty acid content of this oil is very helpful in reducing wrinkles. Grapeseed oil is also effective in minimizing scars.
- Restore collagen
- Absorbs to the skin fast
- Ability to stop enzymes from destroying the needed collagen
- Maintains elastin as well as other connective tissue proteins that support organs like our skin
- The fatty acid content is very effective in reducing eye wrinkles and dark circles
- Vitamin E supports elasticity of the skin and moisturizes dry epidermis layer to get rid of wrinkles
- Vitamin D exhibits the antioxidant activity, which is known to reduce the fine lines and wrinkles
- It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat skin ailments like eczema and acne
- Just like other essential oils in this list it is phototoxic so make sure not to expose yourself in the sun after applying the oil
How to Use?
- As a mask, puree ½ very ripe avocado, and add one tablespoon of grapeseed oil and two tablespoons of raw honey. Mix well into a smooth paste. Wash your face and apply evenly on the affected area and let it dry naturally.
- For wrinkles around the eyes, get a few drops of grapeseed oil and apply gently around the eyes. Close your eyes and let the oil penetrate deep into your skin. If you experience watery or irritated eyes, stop using the oil.
This oil helps promote the growth of new cells, keeping your skin firm and elastic and reduces age spots. It helps slow down the signs of aging. There are some studies that prove frankincense can help boost the skin elasticity, keep it firm and prevent skin aging. Aside from being effective in reducing the signs of aging, it is also added to creams and ointments to reduce the symptoms of eczema and other skin conditions.
- Is a powerful astringent, which means it will help protect the skin cells
- Helps tighten the skin to slow down the signs of aging
- Improves skin elasticity and tone
- Absorbs easily into the skin
- Can make your skin dry and may cause irritation
How to Use?
Combine six drops of oil to one ounce of unscented oil and gently apply to the skin. Test for the possible allergic reaction a small amount of the oil on your skin.
The top 5 best essential oils for wrinkles are very effective in delaying the signs of aging. You can combine one to three oils to produce a very powerful product for wrinkles. Just like other essential oils used in the skin, it is important that you perform a skin test first before applying.
In the case of irritation or redness on your skin, visit your doctor right away. To make the essential oil safe upon applying to your skin, you can dilute it using a carrier oil.
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to share it with others.