Inability to focus is a problem that can affect various aspects of an individual’s life. Whether it’s at work, school or even at home, people who are suffering from attention-related conditions such as ADHD may find it hard to live normally. Thankfully, there are effective and easy ways that can help the mind acquire some clarity and at the same time, help it focus on things. From using fidget spinners to listening to relaxing tunes, these mechanisms can be very efficient. However, if you’re looking for something that will not distract your concentration at all, then inhaling essential oils for focus is the way to go.
For the past couple of years, various experts have lauded essential oils and their efficiency in fighting certain health conditions. And one of the most common issues that these essential oils can solve is inattention. With that being said, we compiled some essential oil scents that can help you focus even more. The following are some of them.
Table of Contents
List of Best Essential Oils for Focus
This type of natural oil comes from a type of grass typically found in tropical Asian countries such as India or Thailand. Vetiver oil can provide a lot of health benefits, especially in the emotional and mental aspects of a person. It is known for providing a calming effect on one’s emotion, therefore allowing that person to have stronger concentration capabilities.
How to Use:
- Apply 1 to 2 drops of Vetiver oil at the bottom of your feet during morning and bedtime. This will ease your mood and help you stay calm and relaxed.
- Inhale Vetiver oil for a couple of minutes. It will calm your emotions and brighten your mood.
- Infuse your coffee, tea and other hot beverages with 1-2 drops of Vetiver oil for stronger immune system. This is recommended especially during winter season.
- Use Vetiver oil on massage sessions, it will calm your emotions.
Recent studies proved that Vetiver oil can play a crucial role in weakening the symptoms of attention-related problems. And that it can also be used for skin care and relaxation purposes.
Like Vetiver oil, Ylang-ylang can also be found in Asian countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines. This particular flower from the Cananga tree is very famous in those areas because of its fragrant smell. The scent of Ylang-ylang can take you to a tropical paradise without even leaving the comfort of your own room. The essence of this flower is most commonly used in both perfumes and aromatherapy. It has properties that can help ease the tension, fight depression and calm your emotions.
How to Use:
- If you want to inhale Ylang-ylang, put 3 to 4 drops of it in your diffuser. It will slow down your thoughts and make you more relaxed.
- Ylang-ylang can also be taken internally, just dilute one drop of it in your drink of choice. It can give your body more antioxidants.
- Can also be applied topically. Just spread a few drops of Ylang-ylang oil in the desired area to help weaken skin sensitivity.
This flower has got to be the most popular essential oil scent available in the market. Aside from its fragrant smell, lavender also contains properties that can slow down a frantic brain’s activity. This will help a lot in solving attention-related problems, sleep issues, and recurring headaches.
How to Use:
- Put a couple of drops in your diffuser. Inhale the scent for a couple of minutes and you will feel your mood get better.
- Apply 1 to 2 drops of lavender oil on your neck during bedtime so you can sleep easily.
- You can also inhale the scent directly from the bottle. It can ease anxiety and relax thoughts, allowing you to focus more.
The Cedarwood oil can be extracted from various cedars that can be found in different areas around the world. It is known for having that warm, woodsy and aromatic smell. Like lavender, Cedarwood has been around the essential oil scene for quite some time now. Once inhaled, the scent can help your mind relax and stay calm. Apply the oil on your skin and it will soothe your body by releasing the tension and stress it acquired during the day.
How to Use:
- Place a couple of drops in your diffuser to give your surroundings an aromatic smell. It will help you relax more.
- Apply it directly on the skin by rubbing 1-2 drops at the bottom of your feet every night. Make sure you dilute it with a carrier oil in case you have sensitive skin.
Aside from being a rich reservoir of Vitamin C, oranges are also known for their various properties that can help fight different health issues. The orange essential oil scent is packed with components such as aldehydes and pinenes that can relax your nervous system. Aside from that, its sedative properties can also slow down your racing thoughts and give you positive emotions.
How to Use:
- Use a couple of drops in your diffuser. The steam will help lighten up your mood.
- Infuse your beverage with a drop of orange oil to increase flavor and promote overall health.
- Rub a drop or two on the skin to give you some energy reinforcements.
Interesting name, isn’t it? The Frankincense is one of the oldest natural oils that have been used by various generations for medical purposes. Extracted from the Boswellia Sacara tree, this essential oil is most commonly implemented in aromatherapy. It can help in reducing stress, anxiety and in strengthening the immune system. But frankincense’s most significant has got to be the fact that it can give the mind some clarity, allowing you to focus on the tasks at hand.
How to Use:
- Frankincense is known for its inviting aroma. Place a couple of drops in your diffuser to make your environment seem even more relaxing. It will also help your mind be more focused and alert; giving you the ability to do your daily work with ease.
- If you can’t focus because of stress and bad mood, apply one to two drops of frankincense oil at the bottom of your feet. The soothing factor and the strong aroma will help you calm down and remove stress.
- When taking a bath, infuse a bit of frankincense oil in your water to help fight anxiety. It can also awaken your mind and keep you focused for the rest of your day.
Another popular essential oil scent, patchouli can provide your mind and body with tons of health benefits. A relative of mind, Patchouli is believed to be able to help balance out emotions. It has calming properties that can make you feel more at ease.
How to Use:
- Diffuse a couple of drops and inhale the steam. It will stabilize your mood and make you feel more alert.
- Rub 1-2 drops at the bottom of your feet. This will help calm your emotions down. For better results, combine it with vetiver oil.
- Apply a combination of patchouli and peppermint oil on your forehead, temples, and neck to relieve some of the stress. This will also help you be more relaxed and at ease.
Oils extracted from Vetiver, Lavender, Ylang-ylang, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Frankincense can provide a lot of health benefits for your body. Their properties can make you feel more at ease, awake and alert. They can all help improve your concentration.
These are just seven of the many essential oils for focus purposes. These naturally safe medicines will allow you to be more attentive to the things right in front of you so you can function at a much better pace.