It is no secret that essential oils can be used to treat skin-related conditions. And one of the most common issues it can cure is dry skin. Whatever the season is, dry skin is something that many people deal with. Thankfully, there are tons of natural essential oils that can help you fight it. Now, are you suffering from dry skin? Then continue reading because written below is a list of the best essential oils for dry skin we compiled just for you.
Table of Contents
The following natural oils are the top essential oil scents you need to try if you want to fight dry skin.
This essential oil scent is extracted from a grass species called Cymbopogon Martinii. The Cymbopogon is a grass usually found in India and Indochina. But because of its rose-like aroma, it has been cultivated in various places all throughout the world. There are two varieties of Palmarosa: the Motia and Sofia. The palmarosa oil is extracted from the dried grass by steam distillation.
Aside from its aromatic features, Palmarosa is also loaded with nutrients such as antioxidants and moisturizing agents that can prevent dryness of the skin. There are many ways you can use Palmarosa oil to solve skin dryness. And some of them are
- Blend 1-2 drops of Palmarosa oil in your facial cream or serum.
- Add a few drops of Palmarosa oil in your body moisturizer for smoother skin all over.
- Place a few drops of Palmarosa essential oil in your bath water for maximum relaxation and moisturized skin.
Next on the list is one of the most popular scents in the world of essential oils. But aside from its wonderful scent, lavender oil is also very versatile. It can cure various health conditions; one of them is dry skin. Lavender oil has nourishing and soothing properties that can make the skin healthy. Lavender oil can be applied on the skin through different methods, but these two are the most common of all.
- Applying a drop directly on the area affected.
- Combine lavender oil with Jojoba to make an effective skin nourishing body oil.
Though more commonly known as a tea flavor, chamomile oil is also great for the skin. It comes in two different types: Roman and German. Though very similar in structure, most companies recommend the Roman kind if it will be used for skin purposes. The Roman Chamomile oil is extracted from the flower heads of the same variety.
The application of chamomile oil on the skin comes in several ways. But some of the easiest methods you can do are the following
- Combine Roman Chamomile oil with a bit of coconut oil. Apply it on the affected skin with the use of a cotton ball.
- Blend Chamomile oil with other scents like Lavender or Rose to form an efficient and fragrant homemade moisturizer.
- Apply it on the skin before you put on makeup. Aside from the fact that it will keep your skin moisturized. It will also make you look glowing.
Fourth on the list is Neroli Oil. This one is taken from the blossoms of the bitter orange tree through steam distillation. The Neroli oil’s aromatic features enabled it to be included in some of today’s most popular soaps, fragrances and other similar products. But aside from the aroma that it can bring, Neroli also has tons of natural chemical compounds that can keep the skin healthy and properly moisturized. Written below are the ways you can use it for your skin.
- Mix a drop or two of Neroli oil into your facial or body cream before applying it on your body. Do it every day until results can be seen.
- Combine it with other essential oil scents such as Jasmine, Gernaium and Ylang-Ylang for an effective skin blend. Apply the blended oils on your body to have a better looking skin in no time at all.
- Add a drop of Neroli oil on a wet cotton ball and apply it directly on the affected area.
Sandalwood oil is known for its fragrant smell. It is extracted through steam distillation from the wood barks and roots of a tree species under the name of Santalum. The warm, sweet and woodsy aroma instantly made is popular. However, it can also give a lot of health benefits to the body. One of them is skin-related issues.
Sandalwood oil is packed with emollient properties that can effectively keep the skin moisturized. To make things better, other natural chemicals included in it can also make the skin smoother by helping it retain the moisture.
Here are the ways you can use Sandalwood oil.
- Combine sandalwood oil with rose hip oil. Apply the blend on the dry skin and you will see positive results overnight.
- Mix a few drops of sandalwood oil in your lotion before applying it on the body.
- Add the oil to your bath water.
Ylang-Ylang oil is taken from the flowers of the Cananga tree by steam distillation. Unlike other scents in this list, the Ylang-ylang only blew up recently. Because of this flower’s sweet and aromatic scent, it was considered as a perfume ingredient by various brands all over the world. Ylang-ylang is known to control the production of potentially harmful oil called Sebum. This particular type of oil came from the Sebaceous glands. It is believed that having high levels of sebum present on the body can cause the skin to dry out. The following are the easiest ways to follow if you want to use Ylang-ylang essential oil on your skin.
- Include a couple drops of ylang-ylang oil in your regular facial steam to moisturize the skin on your face.
- Add 3-5 drops of ylang-ylang oil in your bath water for more relaxation and rejuvinized skin.
This type of oil came from the Geranium plant or also known by its scientific name, Pelargonium Odorantissimum, through steam distillation. It is loaded with skin-friendly properties such as anti-septic, astringent and tonic. Though primarily known for its aroma, Geranium oil can also contribute a lot to the body, especially on the skin. Its astringent properties and moisturizing agents can help the skin stay smooth and nourished.
The ways you can use Geranium oil for your skin are.
- Combining it with your favorite skin care products for additional aroma and a more moisturized skin.
- Mix it with some lavender oil and aloe vera gel to produce an effective skin rejuvenator.
- Steam it.
Last but definitely not the least is the Rosewood oil. It has the scientific name of Aniba Rosaeodora and came from the Brazilian-native Rosewood Tree where the oil is extracted from the tree by steam distillation. Rosewood oil is packed with natural components such as Alpha Terpineol, Myrcene, Limonene, Neral, Linalool, and Linalool Oxide.
Though primarily used for perfumes, Rosewood oil is also effective skin moisturizer. In fact, it is a common ingredient of facial creams, soaps, body moisturizers and much more. The natural compounds that can be found in rosewood can help the skin retain moisture. It also has tissue-regenerating properties which can help slow down the development of wrinkles on the skin. Some of the ways it can be used are.
- Add at least 10 drops of rosewood oil in your bath water to help your dry skin store moisture.
- Mix rosewood oil with your favorite body lotion.
- Can be applied directly on the skin. Just make sure to dilute with carrier oil in case you suffer from skin sensitivity.
These ten are the best essential oils for dry skin you will find in the market. As you may have already noticed, most of them contain the same set of natural components that can help moisturize the skin. Aside from being very fragrant, these natural oils are very effective and can be easily bought online. Either any of these choices, you can’t simply go wrong.