Copaiba is an oleoresin from the trunk of leguminous trees found in South American. It is a thick, transparent exudate that varies in color from light gold to dark brown. The color depends on the ratio of essential oil to resin.
Copaiba essential oil is a colorless light yellow liquid. The balsam is steam distilled to extract the oil. It has aromatic, slightly bitter strong taste. Indigenous people use this oil as a traditional medicine because of its different helpful benefits.
Table of Contents
8 Helpful Benefits of Copaiba Essential Oil
Skin Health Benefits
The astringent property of Copaiba essential oil is very helpful to keep your skin smooth and healthy. One of the active components of Copaiba tightens the skin making it looks younger. It also reduces the appearance of wrinkle and strengthens the skin to protect it against wounds or lesions as the body ages. The main advantage of copaiba oil is that it is generally safe when applied to sensitive skin. It is helpful for the following skin conditions:
- Acne – Place two drops of oil on a cotton ball and apply it directly on the acne. It does not have a stinging effect. Let it sit there for 2 to 3 hours. You will notice some improvements on the affected area. It reduces redness around the acne because of its anti-inflammatory property. If you use it regularly the acne will be less inflamed.
- Stretch marks – applied the oil on the stretch marks. This will help fade the lines. For stretch marks that produce depressions in skin, apply the oil and massage it on the affected parts. Within a few weeks, you will notice the significant changes. Use the Copaiba oil together with olive oil to remove the marks completely.
- Sagging skin – to deal with sagging skin, apply the oil on the affected areas. It boosts the secretion of collagen and elastin to keep the skin firm and taut.
- Varicose veins – very effective in treating varicose veins. It helps improve the blood circulation of veins close to the skin, letting them drain back and lessened pooled blood. It helps eliminate varicose veins.
Want to get rid of pain fast? This Copaiba essential oil might work. It has an analgesic property that relieves pain fast. The oil has been used for generations as a pain reliever. When applied topically it reduces pain and loosens muscles, eases the discomfort of migraines and headaches and eliminates pain in the joints. It relieves pain due to the following condition:
- Pain due to an injury. In the case of wound or cut, apply it on the outer edges to reduce inflammation and pain
- Arthritis and gout
- Muscle cramps
- Sciatica, back and joint pains
How to use:
- In 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil combine three or four drops of copaiba oil.
- Massage the mixture into affected areas.
- Repeat the process as needed.
This is more powerful as compared to other OTC and prescription pain relievers without side effect.
People with a congestive problem or respiratory concern find relieve with copaiba essential oil. Inhaling the oil will provide ease on any discomfort and relaxed the tensed muscles and glands.
How to Use:
- Place the copaiba oil in a cloth or infuser and inhale.
- Add a few drops up to 1 tablespoon of carrier oil and rub the mixture on your upper lip before you go to bed.
It is also very effective as a decongestant.
Gets Rid of Infection
This essential oil has the strong antibacterial property that can boost your immune system. It can give protection to your skin, protects the wound from getting infected, and protects you internally, eliminates harmful bacteria and microorganisms that affect your body from within.
How to Use:
- Using a diffuser or a cloth inhale copaiba oil
- You can massage it on your skin above your lymph glands near your lower jaw and neck.
The essential oil contains copaene. This component has an antimicrobial, cytotoxic and antioxidant properties. It helps boost your immune system.
Anxiety and Mood
The Copaiba essential oil is very effective to improve mood and lighten the spirits. There are only a few essential oils with sweet, pleasant smell of honey. However, if you combine the scent and the gentle effects of oil on your hormonal balance it will improve your day. If you inhale Copaiba’s delightful aroma, it will put you in a lighter state of mind and relieve any feelings of anxiety and stress.
This essential oil is much safer to improve emotional well-being as compared to prescription medications. But there is no assurance that it will work to all. There are some factors that may affect its action.
How to Use:
- Place copaiba oil in the diffuser or you can inhale it directly.
- Get a piece of clean cloth. Place a few drops of copaiba oil on it. Position it in an area near you, on your chest or lap.
Lots of people find relief from stress and anxiety through aromatherapy. But you have to remember the effects may differ from one person to another.
Act as a Diuretic
Copaiba essential oil can help in detoxifying and cleanse your body by stimulating urination. The oil has a diuretic property that can help you deal with incontinence to bedwetting when used properly.
How to Use:
- Use copaiba essential oil in your aromatherapy regular routine.
- Combine it with your preferred carrier oil and massage it on your abdominal part.
Copaiba’s diuretic property helps remove toxins from your liver as well as in other vital organs. It helps them function at an optimum level.
Only a few essential oil that will have an antifungal effect and one of them is copaiba essential oil. It contains unique terpene structures that are very effective as antifungal agents. If you have athlete’s foot or any kind of nail fungus, applying the oil can boost the healing process and keeps you protected against infections.
How to Use:
- Wet a cotton swab with a drop or two of copaiba oil and place it on the affected areas.
- Make sure that you use a different swab for each foot or hand.
- Do this every day until the fungus is gone.
The copaiba’s antifungal property can help eliminate nail fungus. It also encourages healthier nail and cuticle cellular tissue to get rid of infections.
Lower Blood Pressure
Add copaiba essential oil to your daily aromatherapy ritual to boost your heart health and reduce the possibility of having a heart attack or stroke. It has an anti-inflammatory effect that can relieve the tension and strain in your blood vessels. This helps lower your blood pressure and helps prevent atherosclerosis, the leading cause of coronary heart disease and stroke.
How to Use:
- Infuse and inhale copaiba oil on a daily basis.
- You can also add a few drops to your warm bath.
Side Effects and Toxicity Concern
There is no known side effect associated with copaiba essential oil. It is important that you follow the recommended dosage if taken internally. But, in large doses, it may result to stomach pain and other signs similar to food poisoning. If in case you are allergic to this oil, you need to stop using it right away.
The oil is rare, but if you are willing to take extra effort to acquire it, it can be a very powerful tool in your ongoing journey to achieve optimum health.
If you think this post is helpful not just to you but to others as well feel free to share it with them.